NURSING SPECIALITIES KEY :
• Minimum Education required
• Certification credential
• Certifications required
• Possible employment
• Reference / Resources
• Experience needed
• Professional Organization
Pediatric Hematology / Oncology Nurse Pediatric hematology / oncology nurses manage patient care across the developmental continuum and educate patients / families about diagnosis and treatment for blood disorders and malignancies , which can be acute or chronic . The nurse may also care for patients undergoing stem cell transplantation . Patient care includes physical , psychosocial , developmental , and spiritual assessment of the patient and family . The nurse is a part of a multidisciplinary team that manages therapies , which may include chemotherapy , biotherapy , immunotherapy , surgery , and radiation . Supportive care includes managing the side effects from the therapies provided , such as pain management and nutritional support . Providing developmentally appropriate education is a foundational element woven throughout nursing care in this subspecialty . The nurse collaborates with supportive care team members , such as the palliative care team , child life specialist , art therapist , home health care , music therapist , and chaplains . This profession requires strong critical thinking , compassion and dedication to lifelong learning .
• RN , ASN / ADN ( BSN encouraged )
• Certified Pediatric Hematology Oncology Nurse
• None . This may vary between hospitals . Experience typically required for clinics or infusion centers .
• CPHON , BMTCN
• Hospitals ( inpatient unit and outpatient clinic ), physician ’ s offices , home healthcare , radiation centers , hospice / palliative care facilities
• Association of Pediatric Hematology / Oncology Nursing ( www . aphon . org )
Perioperative ( Surgical ) Nurse Provide surgery care by assessing patients before , monitoring patients during and providing recovery care after surgical procedures . Work in teams with surgeons anesthesiologists .
• Certified Nurse Operating Room ( CNOR ) certification exam
• Recommended experience in critical care and ER and continuing education in related fields
• Hospitals , physicians ’ offices , ambulatory surgical units
64 NSNA IMPRINT • JANUARY 2022 • www . nsna . org