NURSING SPECIALITIES KEY :
• Minimum Education required
• Certification credential
• Certifications required
• Possible employment
• Reference / Resources
• Experience needed
• Professional Organization
Pain Management Nurse Pain management nurses care for patients experiencing acute or chronic pain . They are clinicians , educators and researchers with vastly different educational preparation , clinical roles , and interest in practice issues who work in the following roles : staff nurse , clinical nurse specialist , educators , nurse practitioners , researchers , managers and administrators .
• LPN , RN ( BSN , MSN or DNP encouraged )
• Pain management certification exam
• 2 years full time as RN ; 2,000 hours ( during prior 3 years ) in nursing role with aspects of pain management ; 30 hours of continuing education ( during prior 3 years ), of which 15 hours must be related to pain management
• Hospitals , ambulatory care , continuing care , community health settings , correctional facilities , home health care , out-patient surgery centers
• American Society for Pain Management Nursing ( www . aspmn . org )
Palliative Care Nurse Palliative care nurses focus on relieving pain and other debilitating symptoms of chronic illness . This evidence-based nursing practice includes assessment , diagnosis , and treatment of human responses to actual or potential life-limiting illnesses . Palliative nurses lead the comprehensive interdisciplinary collaborative care of the patient with person-centered care through coordination of care , and pain and symptom management . The essence of palliative nursing honors the individual patient in her / his journey .
• RN ( BSN preferred )
• Hospice and Palliative Licensed Nurse certification exam
• Hospice and palliative nursing practice of 500 hours in the most recent 12 months or 1,000 hours in the most recent 24 months prior to applying for the examination
• CHPN , ACHPN , CHPPN
• Hospitals , ambulatory care , continuing care , community health settings , correctional facilities , hospice facilities
• Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association ( www . hpna . org )
Also see “ Hospice Nurse ” section .
62 NSNA IMPRINT • JANUARY 2022 • www . nsna . org