NURSING SPECIALITIES KEY :
• Minimum Education required
• Certification credential
• Certifications required
• Possible employment
• Reference / Resources
• Experience needed
• Professional Organization
Nurse Attorney Represent healthcare professionals in court ( malpractice suits , insurance-related consulting ), serve as expert witness in legal cases , or advocate / lobby for nursing organizations to effect change in healthcare policies .
• BSN and JD ( Juris Doctor )
• No nursing certification exam . Law School Admissions Test ( LSAT ) required to enter law school .
• No minimum experience required . Several years experience as registered nurse recommended .
• N / A
• Law firms , hospitals , health insurance companies
Nurse Educator Educate and mentor nursing students . Participate in research , conduct peer reviews and write grant proposals .
• BSN and MSN , or PhD / DNP / EdD ( PhD or EdD may be required for tenure )
• Certified Nurse Educator Examination
• No required minimum . Advanced experience in a clinical specialty is recommended .
• Colleges , universities , hospitals , continuing education
• National League for Nursing ( www . nln . org
) American Association of Colleges of Nursing ( www . aacnnursing . org ), Organization for Associate Degree Nursing ( www . oadn . org )
• Resources : “ A Closer Look at Nurse Educators ” by Susan Wheaton ( Vol 59 , No 1 – January 2012 ) Read at http :// viewer . zmags . com / publication / 68b55ba3 #/ 68b55ba3 / 2
56 NSNA IMPRINT • JANUARY 2022 • www . nsna . org