NURSING SPECIALITIES KEY :
• Minimum Education required
• Certification credential
• Certifications required
• Possible employment
• Reference / Resources
• Experience needed
• Professional Organization
Correctional Facility Nurse A challenging field that allows nurses to practice independently or as part of a team dedicated to assessing and treating inmates in the nation ’ s detention systems . Requires particular adherence to strict safety regulations .
• LPN or LVN
• Certified Corrections Nurse ( CCN ) ( Not required , but helpful .)
• 1 year in correction facility in current position
• Jails , prisons , juvenile detention centers
Critical Care Nurse Work involves practice in intense environments where critically-ill patients require complex interventions and continuous care . Providers can further specialize in adult , pediatric or neonatal care .
• ASN / ADN ( BSN or MSN preferred )
• Certification for Adult , Pediatric and Neonatal Critical Care Nurses
• Two eligibility requirements options as per AACN :
• CCRN Option 1 : 1,750 hours as RN or APRN in direct bedside care of acutely and / or critically ill patients during the previous two years , with 875 of those hours accrued in the most recent year preceding application . CCRN Option 2 : Practice as an RN or APRN for at least five years with a minimum of 2,000 hours in direct bedside care of acutely and / or critically ill patients , with 144 of those hours accrued in the most recent year preceding application .
• Hospital ICUs , emergency rooms , managed care organizations , nursing schools , outpatient surgery centers
42 NSNA IMPRINT • JANUARY 2022 • www . nsna . org