NURSING SPECIALITIES KEY :
• Minimum Education required
• Certification credential
• Certifications required
• Possible employment
• Reference / Resources
• Experience needed
• Professional Organization
Psychiatric Nurse Psychiatric Mental Health ( PMH ) nurses are trained professionals in high demand , who work at the forefront of our nation ’ s most urgent health care challenges . PMH nurses form strong therapeutic relationships with people experiencing mental health and / or substance use disorders . They screen , diagnose , and provide care for patients all across the lifespan . They also shatter the stigma associated with mental health care and treatment by educating patients , families , health care peers , and their communities that recovery from mental health and substance use disorders is possible . PMH nurses work in a variety of settings , including emergency departments , inpatient facilities , long-term care facilities , outpatient treatment programs , residential treatment facilities , and in community settings . PMH-RNs practice with an RN license and meet state board of nursing requirements .
• RN-BC , PMHNP-BC
• Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Certification
• Equivalent of 2 years of practice as a full-time registered nurse 2,000 hours in clinical practice as a psychiatric-mental nurse within last 3 years ; 30 CE hours in psychiatric-mental health nursing within last 3 years
• RN-BC , PMHNP-BC
• Hospitals ( acute care settings ); continuing care ( i . e ., long-term care and assisted living centers ); home healthcare ; military service ; community health settings ; ambulatory care centers ; out patient surgery centers ; medical / physician offices ; retail clinics ; correctional facilities ; private practice ; outpatient treatment programs
• Resources : http :// bit . ly / 2jeXfNW
Progressive Care Nurse Progressive care nursing is growing and career opportunities exist where acutely ill patients are cared for , such as intermediate care units , direct observation units , step-down units , telemetry units , transitional care units and emergency departments . Work involves practice in intense environments where acutely ill adult patients require complex interventions and continuous care .
• ASN / ADN ( BSN or MSN encouraged )
• Certification for Progressive Care Nurses
• PCCN Option # 1 : 1,750 hours as RN or APRN in direct bedside care of acutely ill adult patients during the previous two years , with 875 of those hours accrued in the most recent year preceding application .
• PCCN Option # 2 : Practice as an RN or APRN for at least five years with a minimum of 2,000 hours in direct bedside care of acutely ill adult patients , with 144 of those hours \ accrued in the most recent year preceding application .
• Hospitals ( acute care settings )
• American Association of Critical-Care Nurses ( www . aacn . org )
58 NSNA IMPRINT n JANUARY 2021 n www . nsna . org