NURSING SPECIALITIES KEY :
• Minimum Education required
• Certification credential
• Certifications required
• Possible employment
• Reference / Resources
• Experience needed
• Professional Organization
Nurse Life Care Planner Nurse life care planners use the critical thinking skills of the nursing process to formulate a plan of care for a patient ’ s lifetime . The nurse life care planner applies the nursing process then develops the plan , which includes the costs and resources necessary to meet those needs .
• Assesses and diagnoses current response to the disability / illness
• Anticipates the effects of disability / illness and future needs as one ages
• Collaborates with providers
• Considers risks and promotes function over the lifetime
• Researches / documents the costs necessary to implement the care plan
• Identifies desired outcomes of plan
• Incorporates information and opinions from other providers
• May identify available community , public , and insurance funding and how to access those resources
• May initiate aspects of the life care plan during its development , educate the consumer and family / guardian on plan initiatives , or provide for the plan to be implemented by case manager
• Updates the life care plan based on evaluation process
• RN ( BSN / MSN Preferred )
• RN license for a minimum of 3 years plus two years of full time paid professional experience in a role ( e . g ., life care planning , community based case management , medical cost projections , Medicare set-aside allocations , lifetime nurse care planning , community based rehabilitation nursing , public health nursing , community based legal nurse consulting ) that utilizes the nursing process in assessing an individual ’ s long term / lifetime treatment needs and costs across the continuum of care .
• Community health settings , independent practice , attorney offices , special needs trust , settlement brokers , insurance firms , etc .
50 NSNA IMPRINT n JANUARY 2021 n www . nsna . org