NURSING SPECIALITIES KEY :
• Minimum Education required
• Certification credential
• Certifications required
• Possible employment
• Reference / Resources
• Experience needed
• Professional Organization
Managed Care Nurse Navigate government-funded healthcare , like Medicaid and Medicare , for patients and their families and educate them on preventive health care . Liaise between patients and care providers , and insurance companies .
• ASN / ADN or BSN
• Certification in Managed Care Nursing
• Must meet minimum level of knowledge of : Managed Care Overview , Health Care Economics , Health Care Management and Patient Issues .
• Hospitals , insurance companies , telephone triage centers
Medical-Surgical Nurse Medical-surgical (“ med-surg ”) nurses care for patients with acute illness , major surgery , and chronic diseases or conditions . Medical-surgical nurses simultaneously coordinate care for several patients on a designated medical-surgical nursing unit , who are in stable condition , are at high risk for a rapid deterioration in health status , and who are not ready to return home or transfer to a long-term care setting . They teach patients and / or families how to best care for themselves and when to seek medical and nursing care upon discharge . Medical-surgical nurses are an integral healthcare team member in promoting wellness and managing patient transitions from settings and levels of care .
• RN , ASN / ADN ( BSN or MSN preferred )
• Certified Medical-Surgical Registered Nurse
• 2 years of practice in a medical-surgical setting ; 2,000 hours of practice within the past 3 years . Practice may include clinical , management , or education .
• Hospitals , continuing care
• Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses ( www . amsn . org )
44 NSNA IMPRINT n JANUARY 2021 n www . nsna . org