NURSING SPECIALITIES KEY :
• Minimum Education required
• Certification credential
• Certifications required
• Possible employment
• Reference / Resources
• Experience needed
• Professional Organization
Emergency Nurse A fast-paced career that requires rapid assessment of patients of all ages and populations , including those experiencing a wide range of diseases , as well as those in need of injury prevention , lifesaving and limb-saving care . Patients may require immediate interventions but stay in an ED on a short-term basis .
• ASN / ADN or BSN
• Certified Emergency Nurse and Certified Pediatric Emergency Nurse credentials
• 2 years recommended in the emergency department for CEN but not required ; 1,000 hours in pediatric emergency nursing practice CPEN
• CEN , CPEN . Recommended that emergency nurses take the Trauma Nursing Core Course and Emergency Nursing Pediatric Course during the first year . Certification in emergency nursing is strongly encouraged after practicing two years .
• Hospitals ( acute care settings ), military service , community health settings , schools , retail clinics , correctional facilities , emergency department , free-standing EDs , emergency medical services , flight nursing , poison control centers , emergent care and crisis intervention centers , businesses and corporations , federal and state government agencies , research institutions
Forensic Nurse Aid investigations into deaths , sexual crimes , and abuse / assault situations . Involves collection of evidence , knowledge of the criminal justice system and an affinity for detail-oriented skills .
• ASN / ADN or BSN
• No general certification . Alternative : Advanced Forensic Nursing-Board Certification ( via portfolio ). Also : Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner ( SANE ) - see http :// bit . ly / MhQXIq
• 2,000 practice hours and 30 continuing education hours in specialty area within 3 years
• Alternative : AFN-BC
• Emergency rooms , psychiatric / correctional facilities , law enforcement / medical examiner offices , courts of law
• Resources : “ Forensic Nursing : A New Challenge ” By Angela Amar and Natalie McClain ( Vol 58 , No 1 – January 2011 ). Read at http :// bit . ly / 2kcMyuM Forensic Nursing : Where Justice and Medicine Meet , by Tanya Davis ( Vol . 63 , No 1 — January 2016 ). Read at http :// viewer . zmags . com / publication / c92da52b