NURSING SPECIALITIES KEY :
• Minimum Education required
• Certification credential
• Certifications required
• Possible employment
• Reference / Resources
• Experience needed
• Professional Organization
Developmental Disability Nurse These nurses provide care , education , and treatment for individuals that have a range of emotional , physical and mental disabilities — like Down ’ s syndrome , cerebral palsy , and fetal alcohol syndrome , among others — either from birth or by accident .
• LPN , ASN / ADN , or BSN
• Certification in Developmental Disabilities Nursing
• 4,000 hours as a developmentaldisabilities RN , LPN , or LVN within the immediate previous 60 months ( five years ).
• Hospitals , long-term acute care hospitals and chronic care facilities , children ’ s rehab centers
Diabetes Educator Diabetes nurses are advanced in their career path and have the knowledge and skills to educate patients with diabetes to manage their disease to live a healthy life . They provide education and behavioral intervention directed toward helping individuals achieve identified self-management goals such as monitoring , healthy eating , reducing risks , etc . Collaboration and communication with patients , families , physicians , and insurance companies is required to achieve goals and maximize healthcare resources .
• RN , MSN
• Certification Examination , Advanced Diabetes Management Certification
• 1,000 practice hours in diabetes experience ( DE ) and 15 continuing education hours within 2 years
• CDE , BC-ADM
• Hospitals , non-hospital outpatient , physicians ’ offices , community health agency , private practice , schools
• American Association of Diabetes Educators ( www . diabeteseducator . org
) National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators ( www . ncbde . org )
36 NSNA IMPRINT n JANUARY 2021 n www . nsna . org