Exam Board - Cambridge International
The Edexcel IGCSE Mathematics course is designed to meet the needs of students of all abilities as they explore the key areas of arithmetic, algebra, geometry and handling data.
The Pearson Edexcel International GCSE in Mathematics (Specification A) qualification enables students to:
• develop their knowledge and understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques.
• acquire a foundation of mathematical skills for further study in the subject or related areas.
• enjoy using and applying mathematical techniques and concepts, and become confident in using mathematics to solve problems.
• appreciate the importance of Mathematics in society, employment and study.
The qualification is provided at two tiers of entry (Higher and Foundation) that allow students to be entered for a level appropriate to them with questions in each tier that are accessible to students of all abilities within that tier.
• Students develop their problem-solving skills by translating problems in mathematical or non-mathematical contexts at both Higher and Foundation tiers.
• Students will develop reasoning skills through exercises such as presenting arguments and proofs, making deductions and drawing conclusions from mathematical information.
Assessment is 100% by external examination
• Each paper is assessed through a 2-hour examination.
• The total number of marks for each paper is 100.
• Each paper will assess the full range of targeted grades at Foundation Tier (5–1) and at Higher Tier (9–4). Each paper will have approximately equal marks available for each of the targeted grades.
• A calculator may be used in the examinations.
Pupils are therefore expected to bring their own scientific calculators with trigonometric and power functions to every lesson, together with the rest of their equipment, which includes a protractor and compasses.
RETURN TO SUBJECT LIST