Easy Hikes & Nature Walks in Fernie
Surrounded by the Canadian Rocky Mountains , Fernie has an abundance of easy hiking trails and nature walks within old-growth forests and among unique geological features . Explore with family and friends or join a guided tour . Enjoy shady parks , picnic spots and scenic viewpoints for picture-perfect family photos .
Island Lake Lodge
Gate to Lodge
Mt Fernie Park Road
Private landowners permit access to certain trail areas . Please respect all noted signage while enjoying these trails . Consider giving back to the trails by supporting our local trail groups . Donate online at fernietrailsalliance . com and coalcreekheritagesociety . com
1 Island Lake Lodge
Open late June to mid-September
• 100 km of hiking trails from easy walks to full day hikes
• Easy trails include the Old Growth , Lake , Fir & Rail Trails
• Access limited on select days and weekends . Call or check online before you visit !
• Dining , spa & lodging available on select operating days islandlakelodge . com | 250-423-3700
Mount Fernie Provincial Park
Fernie Alpine Resort
James White Park
North Fernie Bridge
Annex Park P
11th St .
4th St .
2nd Ave .
Fernie Alpine Resort
Open late June to early September
• 14 + trails ( ranging from easy to difficult )
• Chairlift accessed sightseeing
• Private guided hikes available
• Kids day camps
• Dining & lodging available skifernie . com | 250-423-2435
COAL CREEK ROAD
Closed to motorized traffic
Trail Etiquette & Safety :
• Tell someone where you are going and when you expect to be back
• Be respectful of other trail users and their enjoyment of the trail
• Be aware of wildlife , make noise , keep dogs on leash where required
• Respect the environment and leave no trace . All garbage must be packed out and deposited in proper receptacles
• Check the weather forecast before you go , plan and dress accordingly
• Bring water and pack snacks to keep up energy levels
• Stay on designated trails
• Motorized vehicles are prohibited
• Consider carrying bear spray and know how to use it Report Wildlife sightings to WildSafeBC ph : 877-952-7277
Visit hikefernie . com for online hiking details . For further information :
Fernie Visitor Centre
102 Commerce Road / HWY 3 | 778-519-0748
Fernie Hiking Guide Book
Fernie Area Hiking Trails & Natural Plant Compendium by Terry Nelson . Purchase locally at Polar Peek Books , Fernie Museum or Fernie Visitor Centre .
Fernie Summer Trail Map
Scan the QR code to download the map or pick up a free copy at the Visitor Centre .
Published by Tourism Fernie , August 2023
Hiking in Fernie
Easy Hikes & Nature Walks
hikefernie . com | # ferniestoke