Global Health Asia-Pacific Best Hospitals Awards 2021 - Page 26
MEDICAL TOURISM HOSPITAL OF THE YEAR IN THE ASIA-PACIFIC
PRINCE COURT MEDICAL CENTRE
The key strength of Prince Court Medical Centre (“ PCMC ”) is that we were agile in adapting our operations to continue our clinical offerings during the pandemic , especially with the safety measures that were put in place as early as mid-January 2020 , when COVID-19 was still an unknown virus , like halting business visits from abroad . Eventually , the safety measures evolved to become more stringent to ensure the safety of patients , doctors , and staff .
As a premier tertiary care hospital located strategically in the heart of Kuala Lumpur , PCMC received many tourists and expatriates who were in the transition period of travelling back home pre- and post- MCO / lockdown ( 18th March 2020 ). We remained open and were able to provide the best and fastest care prior to their travel , especially with the COVID screening test , and assist in any immigration issues . We also received an average of two medical evacuations (“ medivac ”) per month , working closely with MHTC since the opening of international patients via medivac in August 2020 .
The award recognises our dedication and commitment in striving for the best care for our patients . This is not just in terms of clinical outcomes , but also ensuring that our patients , be it international or local , had and continue to have easy access to our doctors no matter where they are in the world via our e-health services when borders closed .
Concurrently , PCMC strengthened its sub-specialisation services while utilising the latest technologies to offer a wide spectrum of services in the medical discipline so that patients have more options . Examples of achievements are as follows :
The first and ONLY private hospital in Malaysia to license 21 fully-bedded bays
Cindy Choe , CEO PCMC
instead of typical dialysis chairs for the comfort of our patients .
• The first and pioneer hospital for Blood Group Incompatible ( ABOi ) kidney transplant in the country - having celebrated its 10th year anniversary on first July 2021 .
• Successfully completed the 100th kidney transplant by June 2021 and performed 102 kidney transplants as of end of July 2021 .
• Other niche expertise : Cochlear implants , especially for children .
• PCMC Cardiology – Introduced an electro physiologist for heart sub-specialisation in heart arrhythmias and other heart rhythm disorders .
• Burns Unit – The only private hospital in Malaysia that caters to burn patients with four dedicated beds supported by a full team of five plastic and reconstructive surgeons .
• PCMC Orthopaedic – Introduction of
Wide Awake Local Anaesthesia No Tourniquet Technique ( WALANT ) for Hand & Microsurgery – in which patients are fully awake for procedures such as trigger finger and tendon surgery .
• Intraoperative Radiation Therapy ( IORT ) - a localised radiation therapy for cancer treatment .
• Robotic-assisted system Lokomat Pro ( version 6.0 ) – a rehabilitation system to help stroke and other neuro-injury adult and children patients walk .
• Heated hydropool - caters to both adults and children for rehabilitation purposes . The hydropool has a dedicated walkway for parents to accompany the children in the pool to provide comfort for the family during treatment .
In short , PCMC is changing the hospital landscape especially in Malaysia to take on a more patient-centric approach . One frequent accolade from our patients is that PCMC does not look , feel , or smell like a hospital .
Lastly , the award stands for our fundamental pillar : Our People – the Prince Courtians . This would not have been possible without the energy , enthusiasm , innovations , and patient-focused care that our entire team at Prince Court Medical Centre brings to the day-to-day operations at our facility .
It has always been our aim to deliver a BETTER PATIENT EXPERIENCE by constantly pushing our limits beyond our own expectations .