Fernie & Elk Valley Culture Guide Issue 4 - Spring 2017 - Page 11

1   CPR STATION 601 1st Avenue | Now in use as The Arts Station 2   HOW FOON’S LAUNDRY 491 1st Avenue | Now in use as Fernie Elks Lodge As use of the automobile grew, rail travel declined and so did use of this Second-Class station that had once been the centre of activity in Fernie. Although passenger services were discontinued in 1964, the train tracks are still in daily use carrying the freight trains that regularly pass through the Elk Valley. Since 1987, the Fernie & District Arts Council has used this facility as a performing and fine arts venue. Dine trackside at the Blue Toque Café and imagine yourself arriving on the platform for the first time 100 years ago! See P22 for more. The Chinese entrepreneur How Foon established several businesses in this building constructed in 1908. He ran a café, laundry and shoemaking shop on the main floor and rented apartments upstairs. The Fernie Elks Club purchased the building and removed the dividing walls to open the interior for use as a hall. The exterior surface, though, retains its original outline and the original advertising mural for ‘Royal Crown Soap.’ Across 5th street at The 1909 Royal Hotel, note the tops of the 11