EnergySafe Magazine Summer 2018/19, issue 52 - Page 20

Electrical news Summer 2018/19 energysafe issue 52 Your electrical questions answered By Simon O'Leary, Compliance Officer, Electrical Installation Safety Question Answer Standard/Clause I have seen that my electrical wholesaler is selling twist on cable connectors. There are no provisions in AS/NZS 3000 that prohibit or limit the use of twist on connectors. AS/NZS 3000:2018 Can I use this type of connector in a normal electrical installation? Some considerations are: » Connections shall be made so that no loosening is likely because of vibration, alteration of materials or temperature variations to which the connections are likely to be subjected in normal service » Mechanical connection devices that meet the following criteria may be used for the connection of conductors. Such devices shall: a. comply with an appropriate Standard; b. not be dependent upon compression of insulating material for an effective electrical connection; c. have a short-circuit rating suitable for the application; d. have a long-term current-carrying capacity not less than that of the conductors they are designed to connect; e. if capable of being re-used, suffer no deterioration in performance when re-used; f. include manufacturer’s information regarding their correct use or reuse for users when supplied; and g. be installed using the techniques specified by the manufacturer for the application. I am wiring a new home and the plan shows the switchboard in an area under the stairway that leads to the second floor. Is this an acceptable location for the main switchboard? Is the replacement of a single DC isolator on an existing solar system considered prescribed work, and do I need to issue a prescribed COES and have the work inspected? What needs to be considered is that switchboards need to be readily accessible and installed in suitable, well-ventilated places, arranged to provide sufficient space for the initial installation and later replacement of individual items of the control and protective devices and accessibility for operation, testing, inspection, maintenance and repair. AS/NZS 3000:2018 Consideration should also be given to the future use of that area, in that, is it likely to be converted into a cupboard or storage area i.e. restricted location. If the replacement is a single DC Isolator with an equivalent DC Isolator at the same location, it is not prescribed work. If there is more than one DC Isolator being replaced or other parts of the solar system are being replaced, a prescribed COES will need to be issued. The work will then require an inspection by a licenced electrical inspector (LEI). Electrical Safety (Installations) Regulations Regulation 238(3) You will, however, still need to issue a Non-prescribed COES for the replacement of a single DC isolator. Do you need to be a licenced electrician to work on high voltage? Yes. You need to be a licensed electrical installation worker (LEIW) to carry out any installation work on wiring and/or fixed electrical equipment that normally operates at low voltage (LV) (above 50V a.c. or 120V ripple free d.c.) or a voltage greater than LV i.e. high voltage (HV). Electricity Safety Act 1998 Section 38 Electrical Safety (Installations) Regulations Regulation 238(3) 20