• Our Teacher Apprentice Program (TAP) lets you participate in classroom observations beginning your first
semester. Spend a total of 8 semesters in actual classrooms, first observing other teachers and then leading
the class as a student-teacher.
• Each course is taught by professors with extensive experience in education
• A personal education advisor will guide you through all four years
• Our dedicated field placement coordinator will help ensure you have
successful TAP, Field Experiences, and Student Teaching experiences
• A Certification Officer will ensure you meet all requirements to become a
certified teacher in Pennsylvania.
• The Gwynedd Mercy University Autism Institute, founded by Special
Education Professor Dr. Deb Schadler, offers our students the unique
opportunity to learn from experts about scientifically research-based best
practices on how to support the growing number of students with Autism.
What Kind of Teacher Should I Be?
• GMAEYC (Gwynedd Mercy Association for Education of Young Children)
GMAEYC promotes best practices, educates about current trends, and informs our members about what is
happening politically regarding early childhood education.
• Special Education Club
The Special Education Club is dedicated to spreading awareness and acceptance of individuals with special needs.
The organization’s goal is to promote understanding, education and best practices to the GMercyU community
and future educators by hosting and attending Professional Development events both on and off campus. The club
also hosts the annual Alex Valeno Exceptional Persons 5K Walk/Run, an event
dedicated to the former co-president who passed away in 2013.
• Best Buddies
Best Buddies is an international volunteer movement that creates opportunities
for one-to-one friendships for people with intellectual and developmental
disabilities. Our Best Buddies chapter matches GMercyU students with
members of the community who have Intellectual and developmental
disabilities, hosts monthly events, and participates in fundraisers.
• Kappa Delta Pi Honor Society
Invitations to join the oldest and largest honor society in education are based
on academic achievement, a commitment to education as a career, and a
professional attitude that assures the member’s steady growth in the field of
Melissa Russo '18