ENroute Yearbook 2015-16
Get Ready Pre-entry Online Resource
Katrina Castle, Student & Academic Services, Senior Fellow
For my case study, I decided to focus on the Get Ready online resource, as the
redevelopment of this website has included three aspects that highlight what I value
about working at the university:
• supporting students in their transitions into and through the university;
• working with students to develop resources; and
• developing material with knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and committed colleagues.
Get Ready was originally developed in 2009 as an online resource to support the
transition of widening access students. In 2015, it was decided to redevelop the
resource to meet the needs of current students, and ensure compatibility with
multiple, modern platforms.
A key factor in the success of the resource was the involvement of student interns
from the School of Computing; John Cashin and Chloe Sanderson. John and Chloe not
only developed the website and infographics, but shared their thoughts and insight
as to the content, design, and what constitutes meaningful and engaging activities.
Intended benefits and impact of Get Ready were to:
• develop the academic skills of students prior to starting at the university,
enabling them to negotiate their transition and progression through the years;
• engage and encourage new or less confident students thinking of applying to
study at Edinburgh Napier;
• introduce students to the concept of independent learning; and
• allow students to engage with this resource in their own time and at
their own pace.
Screenshot of Get Ready @ Edinburgh Napier web site