Chefs Classic Stuffig Recipe
• 1 lb bread cut into 1-inch cubes - about 12 cups , ( see note )
• 3 / 4 cup unsalted butter
• 2 cups chopped yellow onion
• 1 1 / 2 cups chopped celery
• 1 / 4 cup chopped Italian parsley
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme ( sticks discarded )
• 1 1 / 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon ground pepper
• 2 large eggs
• 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
INSTRUCTIONS : You can dry your bread cubes two ways :
1 . Place your bread cubes in a large bowl and let them sit on the counter covered for 1-2 days to dry out . Stir the bread cubes occasionally .
2 . If you don ’ t have time to air-dry your bread , you can toast them . Lay bread cubes on baking sheets in a single layer and toast at 250 degrees for 45-60 minutes stirring occasionally . Transfer bread cubes to a large bowl .
3 . Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray .
4 . In a skillet , melt the butter and add the onion and celery . Sautee until vegetables are soft . Pour mixture into the bowl with the bread . Add the parsley , sage , rosemary , thyme , salt , and pepper . Stir together .
5 . In a medium bowl , whisk the eggs . Add the chicken broth and whisk together . Pour mixture over bread cubes and mix well . Pour into prepared baking dish . Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes . Remove foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes until top is golden brown and middle is set .
12 eaglebrooke newsletter DECEMBER