College Columns Dec 2015 Issue

In This Issue

Chair's 1

Fellows in the 12

Foundation 4

President's 2

Welcome Class 27 6

2015 Foundation 13

2015 Patrons & 15

2015 Pro Bono 9

2016 Intl Bankruptcy 7

2016 Patrons & 17


Circuit Events

January 20, 2016

2nd & 3rd Circuit Reception to Honor New Fellows

New York, NY

March 17-19, 2016

Class 27 Induction Ceremony & Related Events

Washington, DC

For details and registration information about these and other regional events, please click here. If you know of an upcoming event that is not listed, please contact Shari Bedker at 434-939-6004 or [email protected].

From the Chair

Pro Bono

The College devotes more than half of its operating budget to funding pro bono bankruptcy-related services. This past year, our pro bono committee received 38 grant applications from legal service and other similar organizations requesting grants in the total amount of $379,847. These requests sought funds for critical bankruptcy and debtor-creditor services to low-income debtors provided through clinics, workshops, training, bankruptcy software programs, written materials and videos.

The College provides 70% of all funds distributed by the committee. The College's Foundation, which oversees the committee's work, provides the remaining 30%. In the last calendar year, the pro bono committee was able to make grants totaling $320,000 to 36 programs in 21 states.

To supplement the funds donated by Fellows, the Foundation has begun participating in's charitable giving program, Through this initiative, Amazon will donate one-half of one percent of all purchases made through a dedicated link (detailed on the College's website). The Foundation continues to search for additional sources of revenue to fund pro bono activities, having created a development task force to raise legacy gifts, creditor trust and unclaimed plan distributions.

continued on page 3

The College is, to paraphrase a description from the corporate sector, relentlessly pursuing excellence. We have enhanced our funding of organizations that provide pro bono legal services to indigent consumer debtors; educated our Fellows, other professionals and law students; and helped to maintain the insolvency community's legacy. A quick sampling of our recent accomplishments follows.

Michael L. Cook, Chair

College Columns

December 2015