CASE STUDY | Strategy & Digital
Dartfish is a leading sports analytics company that employs more than 50 people and generated revenue of >€ 40m in 2019 . www . dartfish . com
· Besides its successful core business , Dartfish had developed a new venture to expand its technology portfolio
· To speed up the growth of its new venture , Dartfish considered to raise money and asked goetzpartners to conduct a quick fundraising readiness assessment
· The assessment revealed the need to tackle certain focus areas for improvement to meet investors ’ expectations
· In particular , a commercial proof of concept was needed and goetzpartners was asked by the client to support by validating previously identified value pools
As a first step , the goetzpartners team examined how the new product was presented overall and how it resonated with target groups . It also analyzed the market , reviewed the size of the value pools and identified three prospective customer segments : sports betting , broadcasting and leagues .
As a way to better present the new software to potential customers , the advisory team suggested establishing the new product as its own brand . In just a few weeks , the goetzpartners team helped develop the new brand , a product website , a marketing strategy and sales and marketing presentations .
The team then began to make cold calls to sound out the market and create a sales pipeline . During these calls , the team discovered that providers of sports betting data were particularly interested in the software . The advisory team spoke with each of the limited number of major players in this field and even signed a NDA with one of them to discuss the terms of a deal .
· Clear identification and validation of target groups
· Development of a new brand , including a compelling sales story and marketing concept
· Interviews with all potential B2B customers from different industries and development of a sales pipeline
· Interviews with all of the major players in the prospective field of sports betting data
· Despite long sales cycles , one major player signed a NDA within just three months to start further negotiations
· Proof-of-commercial potential based on generated leads