Celebrate in Liverpool Liverpool 2019 - Page 19

ARE YOU FROM OUTSIDE THE EUROPEAN UNION? If either party to the marriage or civil partnership is a national of a country from outside the EU you may be subject to immigration control. If you are subject to immigration control you must give your notices at a Designated Register Office providing you have resided within England or Wales for the preceding 8 days. Liverpool is a Designated Register Office. In addition to the evidence outlined on page 5 you will also be required to provide evidence of your immigration status: • Marriage or civil partnership visa • Proof of settled status. If you do not have proof of the correct visa or settled status, your marriage must be referred to the Home Office. The Home Office may decide to extend your notice period to 70 days if they wish to investigate further. The marriage or civil partnership cannot take place until approval is granted by the Home Office. If you wish to marry or form your civil partnership in Liverpool we will be unable to confirm a date for the ceremony to take place until Home Office approval is received. PHOTOGRAPHS Both parties will also be required to provide a colour photograph at the time of giving notice unless proof of settled status is provided. Every photograph must be a United Kingdom passport style and size which: • clearly shows the face of the party, who must: • have a neutral expression; and • not be wearing any head covering (other than for religious or medical reasons) • shows only the party and no other person or object • is unmarked, unaltered and without tears or creases, and • was taken recently and shows a current likeness of the individual. COST The cost for giving notice at a Designated Register Office is £47 for each party (£94 per couple), correct at the time of going to print. For further advice please see www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships/foreign-national ABUSE OF IMMIGRATION LAWS We are working with the UK Border Agency to identify marriages and civil partnerships which seek to abuse UK immigration laws. Anybody found to be arranging, facilitating or entering into a marriage or civil partnership solely to gain permission to stay in the UK risks arrest or prosecution. Foreign nationals may also face deportation and be barred from re-entering the UK for up to 14 years. WILL BREXIT CHANGE THESE RULES? At the time of publication no information has been made available. Please contact your local Register Office for up to date requirements. 18