CATALYST - FALL 2018 VOL 1 NO 2 - Page 9

FALL 2018 Strategic Impact Investing grants offer Foundation a new tool for social impact I n addition to investing nearly $70 million to date in grant funding to nonprofit health organizations in Georgia, the social determinants of health — the conditions in which people are born, grow, live, work, and age — have become an emerging focus for the Healthcare Georgia Foundation. Recent trends in philanthropy have provided examples of how private foundations can go beyond their 5% required asset distribution and leverage the remaining 95%. Thanks to the efforts of Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) as lenders, capacity lenders, and community partners, strategic impact investing has become a new way for Healthcare Georgia Foundation to advance the health of all Georgians. In September 2018, the Foundation’s Board of Directors approved $100,000 to each of the following CDFIs serving Georgia communities — Carver Financial Corporation, Capital Fund (Capital Link), and ACT! Albany Community Together. CDFIs have a proven track record of effective investments addressing many social determinants of health. “With grant awards to these Community Development Financial Institutions, Healthcare Georgia Foundation accelerates its commitment to achieving social impact, expanding its available financial resources, leveraging financial partnerships, and creating new pathways to help communities in Georgia where health disparities are notable,” said Gary D. Nelson, PhD, Foundation president. Within fields of interest that include early childcare and development; healthcare safety net services for underserved school-aged and adult populations; and healthy aging, the Foundation plans to make Program Related Investments (PRIs) in 2019 to the CDFIs that show the greatest potential for improving health outcomes while demonstrating financial sustainability. The Foundation will limit its investment opportunities to those PRIs that directly benefit Georgia’s underserved individuals and communities. The three CDFIs that received Foundation grants this year will also participate in a learning community to build a strong ecosystem among Foundation grantees, investors, and community stakeholders.  ADVANCING THE HEALTH OF ALL GEORGIANS 9