Campus Review Vol 30. Issue 04 | April 2020 | Page 7

campusreview.com.au news No Year 13 Universities develop alternative assessments for next year’s intake. By Dallas Bastian and Wade Zaglas Education Minister Dan Tehan has assured that all Australian students will graduate with an ATAR this year, despite the disruptions brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic. Tehan said education ministers would be working closely with schools, universities, vocational training sectors and workplaces to determine how the ATAR would be worked out. “When it comes to how the ATAR is calculated and assessed, the Commonwealth is going to do further work with the university sector, with the vocational education sector, and will come back to the Education Council in May,” he said. “For all those students out there, for all those parents out there, there will be no Year 13, there will be no mass repeating. You will get your leaving certificate this year. “Every year 12 student will get an ATAR for 2020.” While the education minister did not explain how the ATAR could be adjusted, he spoke about the need to ensure all students’ ATAR scores weren’t negatively affected by their IT conditions at home. “What we are all going to do is to endeavour to make sure that this year’s ATAR scores are the same as last year’s ATAR scores,” he said. “But we will take into account those students who have to learn from home, those who might not be able to access the technology like others do.” Victorian Education Minister James Merlino – who is the national chair of the Education Council – said that he wanted his state’s exams to proceed. But for Year 12 students, that will result in prolonging the year significantly. Usually held in June, Victoria’s exam, the General Achievement Test (GAT), will likely take place in October or November. COAG’s education ministers’ meeting also confirmed that NSW as well as other states and territories will commit to continuing with Year 12 assessments. One of the most persuasive reasons for Tehan’s decision was that schools would not have the capacity to repeat a school year. Importantly, universities – who have been decimated by the drop in international student enrolments – will require many more domestic students to remain financially viable. Universities Australia (UA) has reassured current Year 12 students that there will be clear pathways into tertiary or vocational education next year despite the disruptions. UA’s CEO Catriona Jackson said universities may consider extracurricular work, Year 11 work and Year 12 assessments as a way to evaluate a student’s overall performance and aptitude in different subjects. “All universities offer a variety of bridging, foundation and enabling courses to prepare students for university, providing another pathway. “Also, universities will offer catch-up sessions where needed.” However, despite the assurances, many of the 180,000 NSW Year 12 students have been anxious about how they would be graded and what that would mean for their futures. One such Sydney student is Alexia Osler, who is passionate about completing a medical engineering degree. “It’d be really upsetting if we weren’t able to go to uni and go down that path after school,” she said. “So, I’m hoping the whole system is able to come together and compromise in light of the pandemic.” ANU’s PROMISE To curb some of that anxiety, Australian National University announced it will open applications earlier to admit domestic undergraduate students for 2021 on the basis of their Year 11 results. ANU encouraged Year 12 students to apply in their April school holidays, and said they can do so between now and May 25, with offers made in August. Vice-chancellor Professor Brian Schmidt said that should the marks of Year 12 students who apply to ANU meet the entry requirements, they can then focus on completing their studies and preparing for their first year at university. He added that last year’s admission round showed ANU was able to reliably predict students’ Year 12 performance based on their Year 11 marks. The university expects to accept about 2500 students from across Australia for entry in 2021. It will later make a separate round of offers to students who choose to rely on their Year 12 ATAR. ■ 5