EMMANUEL SÉJOURNÉ Concerto for Marimba and Strings
ABOUT THE COMPOSER
Born 1961 in Limoges , France
• Séjourné was born in southern France and studied percussion at the Strasbourg Conservatory , specializing in mallet playing .
• In addition to being a composer , Séjourné is also a teacher and a highly sought-after and influential mallet percussionist . He developed six-stick playing and vibra-midi techniques for marimba and vibraphone that have influenced countless other percussionists .
• Séjourné began to compose around the same time that he started teaching at the Strasbourg Conservatory . His style is eclectic , and he composes in a range of genres , from symphonies to musicals and film music .
THE WORLD AT A GLANCE
MUSIC Shakira ’ s “ La Tortura ”
FILM V for Vendetta
ABOUT THE PIECE
• This work , written in 2005 , was commissioned by the Romanian , marimba virtuoso Bogdan Bácanu . The piece was premiered at the International Marimba Competition .
• Séjourné wanted to reflect the vast range of the marimba , and the work showcases the romantic and melodic facets of the instrument .
LITERATURE Zadie Smith ’ s On Beauty
HISTORY Hurricane Katrina devastates the city of New Orleans and coastal Mississippi