They spoke with students , answered questions and reflected on their years as legislators . This was Bluefield State ’ s second year participating in this program .
Goodlatte , a Republican , represented Virginia ’ s 6th Congressional District for 13 terms from 1993-2019 . During that time , he chaired the House Judiciary Committee from 2013-2019 . He also chaired the House Agriculture Committee from 2003-2007 .
The former Congressmen met with students majoring in political science , education , criminal justice , health care , English , history , economics and computer science .
Rahall , a Democrat , represented West Virginia ’ s 4th Congressional District , which includes Bluefield , from 1977-1993 . He then served in the new 3rd Congressional District from 1993- 2015 . During that time , he chaired the House Natural Resources Committee from 2007-2011 . He remains the longest-serving member of the House of Representatives ever elected from West Virginia .
“ This was a wonderful experience for our students . We are extremely grateful to Congressman Goodlatte and Congressman Rahall for the generous sharing of their experience , insights , and , most of all , encouragement to these young adults who want to be active , involved citizens .
- Dr . Sudhakar Jamkhandi
The former Congressmen met with students majoring in political science , education , criminal justice , health care , English , history , economics and computer science . They also met with members of the Student Government Association , the International Students Organization and Honors Scholars .
Among the topics covered across two days of meetings were :
• Role of Congress — Enabling Civic Participation , Promoting Democratic Principles in Education , and Addressing National Security
• Rural Public Health
• How Congress can enable civic participation , promote democratic principles in education , and address national security
• Prioritizing legislation with bipartisan support , funding and enforcement
• Fighting international terrorism via an empowered court system
• Supporting and strengthening the nation ’ s cybersecurity capabilities through legislation
• Leadership and Stewardship — Participatory democracy
• How to run for Congress and can Congress function in a bipartisan way to ensure the health of the nation
• How Congress positions the U . S . well in global trade
• Legislation related to international affairs
Organized by Dr . Sudhakar “ Jammy ” Jamkhandi , Director of International Initiatives and Professor of English , this inaugural , in-person visit was a success thanks to the active support from numerous student groups , including the Student Government Association and the International Students Organization .