Beacon Tabs OSU Extension 100 Years - Page 2

Celebrating 100 years of OSU Extension in Coshocton County COSHOCTON - On May 8, 1914 congress signed an act to establish the Cooperative Extension Service which would extend the reach of education into rural communities. Representative Asbury Lever from South Carolina and Senator Michael Hoke Smith from Georgia together submitted a proposal that would “aid in diff using among the people of the United States useful and practical infor- mation on subjects relating to agriculture, uses of solar energy with respect to agriculture, home economics, and rural energy, and to encourage the application of the same..." On May 8, 1914 congress signed what we know of today as the Smith-Lever Act. As a result, this established the Cooperative Extension Service, a unique educational partnership between the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the nation’s land-grant universities that extends research-based knowledge through a state-by-state network of extension educators. Here in Ohio, the land grant university has been Th e Ohio State University since 1870. “Land grant” is just what it sounds like. President Abraham Lincoln signed the Morrill Act in 1862, which gave 10,000 acres of Federal government land to each state to sell and use the pro- ceeds to create a public university to teach agriculture and the mechanic (engineering) arts. Th is was followed by another act a few years later to create agricultural experiment stations to conduct agricultural research. Over time students received excellent instruction in cam- pus classrooms and data was generated from the many studies conducted at research stations. But the public university’s mission is to serve all the citizens of the state. A system was needed to disseminate the information through non-formal educa- tion. As a result, extension was born so that the land grant system could truly be the “people’s colleges” as Lincoln had envisioned. Following WWI we received our fi rst extension agent in Coshocton Coun- ty. In December 1918 the county commissioners voted to appropriate $1,250 to support the salary of a “farm agent.” On Feb. 1, 1919 Grover C. Musgrove began as the fi rst county agent in Coshocton County. He was followed by 10 agriculture agents. Paul Golden served in this posi- tion the longest from 1978-2007 and 2010-2012. Harriet Green started as the home demonstration/ home economics agent in 1936. She worked with adult homemaker groups as well as youth. Green served 31 years as an agent in our county, retiring in 1966. Any girl who was a part of the 4-H program at this time has a memory associated with Green. Th e fi rst offi cial 4-H agent was Lawrence E. Sarbaugh who began in 1946. However, 4-H began in Coshocton County long before that. Th e fi rst corn and calf clubs started in 1917. When Musgrove came to Coshocton, he organized the existing clubs into 4-H clubs and estab- lished many more. At that time boys belonged to a club to learn about a specifi c livestock animal, often pigs, or for girls it was a club to mainly learn to preserve food through canning. Th ere have been 15 4-H agents in Coshocton County with Sarah Jane Lindsey serving the longest tenure at 31 years from 1979-2009. For many years the extension offi ce was located in the basement of the post offi ce, which is now the Coshocton Public Library. Th e Extension Offi ce is now in Room 110 at the county services building. Current programs focus on strengthening families and communities, prepar- ing youth for success, enhancing agriculture and the environment, and advancing employment and income opportunities. Emily Marrison | Contributed The early years of Extension 1914-1939 – Agriculture COSHOCTON - Even before the Cooperative Extension Service formally began, land- grant universities were making eff orts to educate the citizens of their states about agricultural topics. Ohio Agricultural Extension traveled by train all around the state of Ohio with agricultural exhibits to give on farm demonstrations from 1906- 1913. In 1911 alone there were 16 trains that made 418 stops and reached more than 45,000 people with hands-on exam- ples of farm practices. In 1910, the rural population was almost 54 percent of the total US population. Today it is about 15 percent. In 1914 about 35 percent of Americans lived on a farm. Now that number is a little over 1 percent. Th e Smith-Lever Act was signed in 1914 by President Woodrow Wilson. Th is increased the mission of land-grant universities to offi cially extend instruc- tion beyond campuses. Th e president called it “one of the most signifi cant and far-reaching measures for the education of adults ever adopted by the govern- ment.” In Coshocton County, nine county farmers together requested a county CONGRATULATIONS ON 100 YEARS! Coshocton Soil and Water Conservation District 724 S. 7th Street, Coshocton, OH 43812 740-622-8087, Ext. 4 • www.coshoctonswcd.org www.facebook.com/CoshoctonSWCD Protecting our local soil & water resources since 1942 Coshocton County Plat Books - $10 Proud supporter of Coshocton County Agriculture 2-B THE BEACON agent from the county commissioners on Oct. 8, 1918. Th ese farmers included E.C. Darling, Bert Miskimens, G.T. Vensel, William Nethers, George Stonehocker, B.O. Stingel, T.K. Finley, George Gray and R.E. Wells. Th e commissioners voted two to one to appropriate $1,250 to support the salary of a “farm agent” for one year. Grover C. Musgrove began work in Co- shocton County on Jan. 1, 1919. Musgrove was a county agent in Moundsville, W.Va. and that local newspaper said, “Mr. Mus- grove was the ideal man that the farm- ers could fi nd to get their organization started right… Th e Echo congratulates the people of Coshocton upon gaining a citizen of the talent and character of Mr. Musgrove. His sterling qualities have won him a high place in popular esteem among our people and will do the same in Coshocton.” On the Cover Th e photos on the cover represent the three focus areas of OSU Extension: Agriculture, Family & Consumer Sciences (formerly Home Economics) and 4-H. Martin Daugherty is upper left. Upper right photo - see page 7-B. Lower right photo is Donald Wells, 1970 Tractor Rodeo winner. Also pictured Denny Tumblin (?) & unknown. www.coshoctonbeacontoday.com Even before the 1929 crash of the stock market, a depression had begun in rural America. Following World War I, the agri- cultural market became a global market, and US agriculture found itself with competition. In response, Extension fo- cused on helping farmers with economic concerns and effi ciency in farming oper- ations to improve overall quality of life. Th is was a time when many cooperatives were formed to gain purchasing advan- tages for supplies. In 1933 OSU Extension helped the nation to overcome the Great Depression through assistance with New Deal programs. Th is included price sup- ports, production control, and bringing electricity to rural areas. Emily Marrison | Contributed PHOTO CREDITS: Photos reprinted with permission of Th e Coshocton Tribune. Photos courtesy of the Coshocton County OSU Extension Offi ce. Photos courtesy of various individuals contributed by the Coshocton County OSU Extension Offi ce. APRIL 17, 2019