Asia-Pacific Broadcasting (APB) August 2017 Volume 34, Issue 6 - Page 13

August 2017 NEWS & VIEWS 13
Peter Bithos ( centre ), CEO of HOOQ , and Michael Fleshman ( right ), CTO of HOOQ , questioned if current OTT models match the lifestyles of people today .
While a rich content library can be a big draw , as iflix is demonstrating , the top 60 titles fetch about 80 % of all video-on-demand ( VoD ) viewing ; the remaining 20 % is accounted for by 45,000 titles .
the sky , providing edge caching to any local network and helping to reduce network traffic .”
Some of Mathur ’ s views were echoed by John Lee , CTO of South Korea ’ s CJ Hellovision , who identified trends such as space-shifting , where the proliferation of media devices means consumers can access content whenever and wherever they want ; content-shifting , which is creating a rise in demand for short-form and high-quality content ; and time-shifting , which represents non-linear viewing , where serialised content is encouragng
viewing in bulk .
OTT is changing the landscape of content creation and consumption , Lee added , as he discussed the challenge of overcoming cordcutting in South Korea . With OTT facing fewer entry barriers than pay-TV , OTT can potentially offer more openness and expandability of the market , Lee suggested . However , while South Korea may have one of the highest OTT access rates in the region , paid OTT subscriber ratio stands at a mere 5 %, he pointed out .
Asia-Pacific ’ s pay-TV industry
is going through a challenging and transitional period , driven by the rise of consumer demand for cheaper and more personalised content packages , the transition to IP-based delivery infrastructure and the persistent threat of piracy , according to Nagra , who recently released findings from the Pay-TV Innovation Forum 2017 which addresses the region ’ s pay-TV market .
The Pay-TV Innovation Forum is a new global research programme Nagra set up with research consultancy firm MTM .
The multi-device environment
is accelerating as people demand to watch content on any device of their choice , said Stéphane Le Dreau , general manager , Southeast Asia . “ Some of the questions the industry has to ask itself include : As the end-user market continues to evolve , are current subscription models outdated ?” he told APB .
Service providers , he advised , need to make use of intelligent analytic tools to know who their customers are , and what they want . “ The personalisation of TV means they are buying only what
they want to watch . How do you convert annoymous viewers into paid subscribers ?”
Le Dreau also predicted an increase in the embrace of IP in the pure-life distribution of services . This , in turn , places the issue of how content is protected into the spotlight . “ Content used to be well protected in a controlled environment ,” he said . “ Piracy streaming is relatively rampant in Asia-Pacific and operators need to be able to identify quickly where the illegal IP streaming is coming from , and to put a stop to it .”

[ Dis-ruption ]

Theadventofthesteam enginedisruptedthetravelindustry , theprintingpresdisruptedschools , electricitydisrupteda wholerangeofindustries . Today , theinternetisdisruptingtheBroadcastindustry . Viewerhabitshavechanged , busines modelsarechanging , bariersofdistanceandlanguagearebreakingdown . New competitorsarerising , competingin waysnotseenbefore .
RADIO SOLUTIONS
CAMERA & LENSES
BROADCAST EQUIPMENTS
OTT SERVICES
RFSOLUTIONS & TRANSMISSION
ANALOG toDIGITAL
HDto4K
DTH 50SerangoonNorthAve4 ,# 08-14 ,
FirstCentreBuilding , Singapore555856
Phone :( 65 ) 66847907 Fax : ( 65 ) 66847908

whiteways @ singnet . com . sg Iwww . whiteways . biz

NEWS & VIEWS August 2017 Peter Bithos (centre), CEO of HOOQ, and Michael Fleshman (right), CTO of HOOQ, questioned if current OTT models match the lifestyles of people today. the sky, providing edge caching to any local network and helping to reduce network traffic.” Some of Mathur’s views were echoed by John Lee, CTO of South Korea’s CJ Hellovision, who identi- fied trends such as space-shifting, where the proliferation of media devices means consumers can ac- cess content whenever and wher- ever they want; content-shifting, which is creating a rise in demand for short-form and high-quality content; and time-shifting, which represents non-linear viewing, where serialised content is encour- agng viewing in bulk. OTT is changing the landscape of content creation and consump- tion, Lee added, as he discussed the challenge of overcoming cord- cutting in South Korea. With OTT facing fewer entry barriers than pay-TV, OTT can potentially offer more openness and expandabil- ity of the market, Lee suggested. However, while South Korea may have one of the highest OTT ac- cess rates in the region, paid OTT subscriber ratio stands at a mere 5%, he pointed out. Asia-Pacific’s pay-TV industry is going through a challenging and transitional period, driven by the rise of consumer demand for cheaper and more personalised content packages, the transition to IP-based delivery infrastructure and the persistent threat of piracy, according to Nagra, who recently released findings from the Pay-TV Innovation Forum 2017 which ad- dresses the region’s pay-TV market. The Pay-TV Innovation Forum is a new global research programme Nagra set up with research consul- tancy firm MTM. The multi-device environment 13 While a rich content library can be a big draw, as iflix is demonstrating, the top 60 titles fetch about 80% of all video-on-demand (VoD) viewing; the remaining 20% is accounted for by 45,000 titles. is accelerating as people demand to watch content on any device of their choice, said Stéphane Le Dreau, general manager, South- east Asia. “Some of the questions the industry has to ask itself in- clude: As the end-user market continues to evolve, are current subscription models outdated?” he told APB. Service providers, he advised, need to make use of intelligent analytic tools to know who their customers are, and what they want. “The personalisation of TV means they are buying only what they want to watch. How do you convert annoymous viewers into paid subscribers?” Le Dreau also predicted an in- crease in the embrace of IP in the pure-life distribution of services. This, in turn, places the issue of how content is protected into the spotlight. “Content used to be well protected in a controlled environ- ment,” he said. “Piracy streaming is relatively rampant in Asia-Pacific and operators need to be able to identify quickly where the illegal IP streaming is coming from, and to put a stop to it.” [ Di s- rupti on] T he advent of t he s t eam engi ne di s r upt ed t he t r avel i ndus t r y, t he pr i nt i ng pr es s di s r upt ed s chool s , el ect r i ci t y di s r upt ed a whol e r ange of i ndus t r i es . T oday, t he i nt er net i s di s r upt i ng t he Br oadcas t i ndus t r y. Vi ewer habi t s have changed, bus i nes s model s ar e changi ng, bar r i er s of di s t ance and l anguage ar e br eaki ng down. New compet i t or s ar e r i s i ng, compet i ng i n ways not s een bef or e. CAMERA & L ENSES RADI O SOL UT I ONS OT T SERVI CES BROADCAST EQUI PMENT S ANAL OG t o DI GI T AL RF S OL UT I ONS & T RANS MI S S I ON DT H HD t o 4K 50 Ser angoon Nor t h Ave 4, #08- 14, Fi r st Cent r e Bui l di ng 6v RSSSS`v@Wv00vW@60pScRccBspfcRccBsv@Wv0"wwr