Art of Dying Volume II - Page 53
14 WAYS HOSPICE PATIENTS HAVE
SAID THEY'RE READY TO DIE
These are statements to me by hospice
patients over the years indicating their
readiness to die. I recognized there was a
beauty in the variety of ways the patients
chose to express their wishes.
1. "If something is going to happen, let it
happen. Life is getting less interesting
as the days go by."
2. ”Sometimes I wonder why they've all
gone and I'm still here."
3. ”When I go to bed I always wonder if
this will be the time I die.”
4. "I've done it all I've seen it all. I could
5. "I'm ready to get up and jump around."
6. "I'm 93 and anything can happen at
any time. I have no qualms."
7. "I was put on this earth to die. Today
is just as good as tomorrow. We're all
going to die. I can't control it.
8. "Right now heavenly home is home.
They tell me we'll see our loved ones
and never have to say goodbye. That
would be wonderful."
9. "Get me out of here."
10. ”I'm waiting to ring the bell."
11. "I know we're not going to be here
forever. Hereafter is another home.
It ain't no temporary home. It's
permanent and there are no utility
bills. No taxes."
12. "I just want to go home."
13. “My goal is to wonder how I fill the
days until my days are gone."
14. "I think it would be nice if every single
person in the world had a button to
push to say, 'okay I'm ready'."
© 2017 Lizzy Miles. Reprinted with
permission. This article was originally
published on pallimed.org on
January 20, 2017
VOLUME II | 53