AMERIND Risk ALARM Newsletter - 2015 2nd Quarter 2015 - Page 11

Wind-Driven Rains and Standing Water Can Lead to Damage Follow the guidance below to minimize the chance of water getting inside your home or business. Seal Gaps Aging and weather can lead to gaps around the penetrations entering your home and around windows and doors. Over time, gaps can form in areas such as where water faucet pipes, gas pipes and air conditioning pipes enter the walls. Gaps also may exist behind electrical outlets, junction boxes, circuit breaker boxes and electric and water meters. Cracks or voids under window sills also can appear due to weather and aging. Water can enter through these openings and cause significant damage that you may not notice until it is too late and major repairs are needed. To seal these gaps, apply caulk. The type of caulk you use will depend upon the location where it’s needed. The following are basic categories of caulk: waterproof or waterproof and paintable. Follow these guidelines to help determine which caulk is appropriate for the job you are completing. All outdoor applications should use waterproof caulking. Waterproof Products Caulk that keeps water out is a necessity in areas that will be exposed to water, such as windows, doors, kitchens, and baths, so a permanently waterproof caulk is needed. If the caulk is not permanently waterproof, the area could be left vulnerable to water damage and mold growth. Waterproof and Paintable Some projects require a caulk that is waterproof and paintable. If the area will be exposed to water or the outdoor elements, a permanently waterproof and shrink-/ crack-proof caulk is needed. If the caulk is not permanently waterproof and shrink-/crack-proof, the area could be left vulnerable to water damage and mold growth. If the caulk needs to match the exact color of the adjacent surface, it also needs to be paintable. (Source: Guy Carpenter & Company, a leading global risk and reinsurance specialist, is proud to support AMERIND in a partnership benefitting families and students in Indian Country. . learn more at