Adviser Update Adviser Update Spring 2017 - Page 44
1. The editor gave the prize to the reporter who/whom he
thought was the most qualified.
2. With fear, the reporter moved slowly toward/towards the
3. As an unbiased editor, he had to be disinterested/
uninterested in how the poll would be interpreted.
4. Neither the reporters nor the editor was/were attending the
5. The editor walked in to/into the publisher’s office.
6. The publisher stood behind the lectern/podium and
asserted his objections to the Freedom of Speech amendment.
Take this sample grammar
and usage quiz based on a
previous year’s test.
For more information about
the Dow Jones News Fund’s
internship programs, visit
7. New York City lies 40 degrees latitude/longitude north of
8. The reporter was asked to stanch/staunch the flow of blood
to the victim at the crime scene
9. The pitcher had 12 strike outs/strikeouts as part of his no
10. The publisher said she would wait until whoever/whomever
would arrive to accept the prize.
Answers: 1. who; 2. toward; 3. disinterested; 4. was; 5. into; 6. lectern; 7. latitude; 8. stanch;
9. Strikeouts; 10. whoever
The Dow Jones News Fund
offers paid, prestigious
summer internships in
data journalism, digital
media, business reporting
and multimedia news
editing for digitally savvy
college juniors, seniors and