2016 Community Benefit Report CHAI_160088756_2016 Community Benefit Report_FIN - | Page 5

CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL COLORADO The Population Health Approach Changing the Way We Deliver Healthcare Imagine a child referred to the Lifestyle Medicine clinic of Children’s Hospital Colorado for obesity. Not only does this child’s obesity impact their physical health and wellbeing, but it likely impacts other health areas like susceptibility to injury, asthma and oral health. Before looking to immediately address the issue of obesity, which also trickles into these other health conditions, we must first recognize the comprehensive nature of a child’s care. There are several other factors that likely contribute to this child’s struggle with obesity. For example, does this child live in an impoverished neighborhood where it’s not safe to play outside? Does their family have access or financial means to purchase healthy foods? Do they come from a culture where managing obesity isn’t a priority? Does their school have physical education classes as part of the curriculum? When we get to the core of what’s causing health problems, it consequently impacts the other layers. In fact, only 20 percent of health depends on clinical care; the other 80 percent depends on social determinants, according to the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute. Specifically, 40 percent relates to social and economic factors, such as education, culture, employment, income, community safety, family and social support; 30 percent to health behaviors like tobacco use, diet and exercise and alcohol use; and 10 percent to the physical environment or environmental quality. Many children experience overlapping determinants, such as low income, lack of transportation and less access to safe places and role models, which consequently affects their health and wellbeing. Social determinants Education Culture The future of healthcare depends on how we address and support the whole picture of a child’s health and begin to change both the way we deliver healthcare, and the way our population accesses healthcare. Every population and every community has a different set of healthcare needs, and delivering care isn’t a one- size-fits-all model. We call this population health, where we implement creative and alternative methods to ensure access to care for the entire population — in our case, children. The population health approach is not only about access to medical care; it is about supporting health and wellness in the home, in communities and in schools. It’s about delivering healthcare that lasts beyond a visit to the doctor or a check-in at the clinic. At Children’s Colorado, one of our missions as an organization is to create healthier communities through the population health approach, by investing resources into keeping kids out of our hospital through preventative programs and partnerships, and by addressing all aspects of their care. Income CLINICAL CARE Community Safety Home Dynamic Behavior 2 0% 80% 5