Summer is approaching , which means it ’ s time to get outdoors , be active , and fuel your body with the nutritious , delicious food it deserves . Personal chef Brianna Sebasto , aRutherford resident and owner of Brianna ’ s Nutrition Kitchen in Morristown , shares two recipes with us that are light , yet packed with flavor .
SEBASTO : COURTESY OF JEN OCEANA PHOTOGRAPHY
ZUCCHINI & CARROT FRITTERS
MAKES ABOUT 8SERVINGS
Vegan , gluten-free , nut-free Freezable up to one month May be refrigerated up to one week
INGREDIENTS 1 cup of vegan “ Just Egg ” ( real egg may also be used ) salt and pepper 6 large rainbow carrots 1zucchini ½ cup of gluten-free bread crumbs 6scallions 2 cupsFresno chili peppers , packed 2 cups fresh cilantro , washed and dried 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice 6 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
• Inabowl , whisk together the Just Egg and ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper .
• In a large bowl , coarsely grate the carrots and zucchini with a box grater . Add the Just Egg , breadcrumbs , scallions , chilis , and cilantro to the bowl . Mix thoroughly . If the mixture is too wet , feel free to add morebreadcrumbs . If it is toodry , add some moreJust Egg .
• Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat and add 2-3 tablespoons of oil . Drop 4 spoons of the carrot mixture at a time intothe skillet and cook until golden brown and crisp . This will take about 3 minutes per side .
• When golden brown on each side , transfer to a wire rack to cool down . Repeat with the remaining oil and carrot zucchini mixture until all the fritters are made .
• Garnish with sliced scallions , lime juice , cilantro and / or micro greens .
VEGAN BASIL SPINACH PESTO
MAKES ABOUT 8SERVINGS ( 1-TABLESPOON SERVINGS )
• Vegan , gluten-free , nut-free
• Freezable for up to one month
• May be refrigerated up to one week
1 cup packed fresh basil ( large stems removed )
1 cup packed fresh spinach 2 cloves garlic ( peeled )
1½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 8 teaspoon seasalt ( plusmoretotaste ) pinch of black pepper
2-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil , divided ( plus more as needed )
2-3 tablespoons water ( plus more as needed )
• Ina blender or food processor , add the basil , spinach , garlic , lemon juice , salt , pepper and half of the oliveoil and process on high until a loose paste forms .
• Add the remaining olive oil a little at a time ( streaming in while the machine is on , if possible ) and scrape down sides as needed . Then add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until the desired consistencyisreached . I likemypestothick but easily pourable .
• Taste and adjust salt / pepper as needed ; add extra lemon juice for more acidity if desired .
• This pesto is perfect for adding to zucchini pasta , on tomato salads , or dipping with healthy crackers / chopped veggies .
@ 201magazine ( 201 ) HEALTH 2022 EDITION 35