1963-Voice Of The Tennessee Walking Horse 1963 August Voice | Page 6

4 August, 1963
VOICE
Ben A. Green........................................................................... Publisher-Editor
Mrs. Ben A. Green................................................................................................ Secretary
( This monthly magazine is dedicated to the welfare of the Tennessee Walking Horse breed for show and pleasure.) OUR AIM— To maintain a permanent publication that will merit the full support of all who love the Tennessee Walking Horse.
Voice of the Tennessee Walking Horse is owned by Ben A. Green and Mrs. Ben A. Green, Snelbyville, Tcnn., and its editorial contents can be used for re-publicaiion by
OFFICE— SHELBYVJLLE, TEW. any person or firm provided proper credit is given and the magazine is correctly quoted.
Voice of the Tennessee Walking Horse is published monthly at 1110 South Brittain St., Shclbyville, Tenn.
Send all subscription payments and advertising payments to Ben A. Green, Shelbyvillc, Tenn.
Subscription Price: § 4 per year: single copy 50 cents.

Silver Anniversary Celebration Greatest Ever

Thai truly wondrous horse show— the Silver Anniversary Tennessee Walking Horse Celebration— will be more wondrous than ever before this year— due to size alone if that were the determining factor.
Everything about the Celebration facilities has been expanded.
Box seats were added to the tune of 1, G98 seals— there being six chairs to each box and 283 new boxes located at the north end of the enclosure. These boxes were adtled without sacrificing any other seats, as the displaced rows were transferred to the east side stands.
Attendance for the seven nights of the Celebration itself is sure to establish a record— on the basis of nationwide demand for tickets.
Reserved seats are sold in the west stands only, this leaving the entire east stands available for non-reserved tickets.
The Shelbyvillc & Bedford County Chamber of Commerce has reported unprecedented demand for housing— and a large number of residential properties arc being evacuated by their regular tenants to be made available to the visitors.
Rooms are also available in private homes.
The Celebration of today is indeed a far cry from the idea conceived back in 1939. The plan was advanced in May, but the first Celebration took place Sept. 7, 8, 9, 1939.
In addition to the horse show itself— there was a mammoth parade— and that is one of the reasons lor the Celebration getting its name.
The late William J. McGill apparently suggested the name, being chairman of the subcommittee with this responsibility. The word“ national” was included because it was the intention of these founders to make the Celebration a“ national” show in every particular.
This recalls to some extent the derivation of the word Tennessee Walking Horse to identify the breed that was familiarly known as the " Southern Plantation Horse.”
According to the late W. Henry Davis of Wartrace— known as“ The Father of the Celebration”— the breed received its name from Northerners who came South and said: " I want to see some of these Tennessee Walking Horses.”
That’ s the way the Walking Horse gained his official name— later certified by the U. S. Dept, of Agriculture— and il thus became the only horse breed in the nation with the name of a slate officially attached thereto.
The greatest marvel of the Celebration— however— is the fact that the magnificient facility of today— seating approximately 20,000 people; housing some 1,000 horses simultaneously; occupying some 50 acres: and attracting such enormous prestige as the place where World Champions Are Crowned-lias been built without a government dollar, be it Federal, state, county or city. And the slate funds contributed have gone into premium money to serve as prizes.
The Celebration Grounds have been a boot-strap operation; launched when a number of dedicated Tennessee Walking Horse friends in various states and counties bought 10-year boxes for S500 each. That’ s how the Celebration Grounds got its rock-bottom start. And on the firm principle of“ pay as you grow " it has continued to expand.
EIGHT CHALLENGE
TROPHIES OFFERED( Continued from Page 3)
Two-Year Championship
Two-Year-Old Walking Horse Championship Stake— winners of Ben Howell Challenge Trophy donated by Ben Howell & Son Saddlery, Memphis, Tenn:
1962— Perfection’ s Carbon Copy, owned by Binns 8; Rodgers, Little Rock and Searcy, Ark., Joe Webb up.
1961— Cotton Queen’ s Go Boy, owned by Myron and Doug Wolaver, Pulaski, Doug Wolaver up.
1960— Go Shadow Boy, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Frank Parnell, Newbern, Jimmy Waddell up.
1959— Lu’ s Lu Lu, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Joe Bales, Tomasville, N. C., C. A. Bobo up.
1955— Ebony Masterpiece, owned by Clay Simpson, Bowling Green, Ky. Bud Seaton up.
1957— Go Boy’ s Invasion, owned by Dr. and Mrs. Pal Hamm, Huntsville, Ala., George Witt up.
1956— Dark Glory, owned by Willow Oak Acres, Prescott, Ark., Jimmy Waddell up.
1955— Big Man’ s Vamp, owned by Florida Queen Cigars, Quincy, Fla., Carl Edwards up.
1951— Selling Sun, owned by Hackett & Woodward, Carthage, Tenn., Gid Hackett up.
Junior Championship Stake
Junior Walking Horse Championship Stake— winners of W. J. Eaton Memorial Challenge Trophy donated by Mrs. Gene Eaton Moore, Phoenix, Ariz.
1962— Cotton Queen’ s Go Boy, owned by Wolaver Stables and Bob Guinn, Pulaski and Savannah, Tenn., Doug Wolaver up.
1961— Sun’ s Go Boy Again, owned by Pat Kimbro, Atlanta, Ga., Donald Paschal up.
1960— Spur’ s Merry Man, owned by Dr. and Mrs. G. J. Meshew, Mounds, 111., Jimmy Waddell up.
1959— Fair Warning, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Joe Bales, Thomasville, N. C., C. A. Bobo up.
1958— Go Boy ' s Invasion, Owned by Dr. and Mrs. Pat Hamm, Huntsville, Ala., George Wilt up.
1957— Dark Glory, owned by Moulin, Gamier Sc Crawford, Jennings, Bastrop, La. and Marion, Ala., Percy Moss up.
( Continued on Page 3)